Thursday, April 30, 2009

Is TAKS really over?

My class has not done much blogging due to the TAKS test and preparing for it. Now that it is done, I can't believe it is over. My mind is so numb from this week, that I am sure this post will be quite random.

We are about to start our unit on Poetry, so I am sure they will have their poems posted soon. I am excited about the thought of them having somewhere else to "publish" their poems.

Some time ago I added the feature of having to approve the comments before they are posted. I must say that I really like this feature. It serves two main functions 1. Keeps me logging in everyday because they want to see their comments posted. and 2. Keep any unwanted comments away. I have been observing another blog that is used for the classroom and while the students are using it, they have also began using it as a social tool. I am not sure I want my students doing that too early.

Last comment for today-the flu. I want my students to blog, but with how careful we are about germs, I am going to have to be extra careful to make sure the keyboards stay sanitized. I guess I will be purchasing some hand sanitizers to keep by keyboards as a reminder.

The next time I post, hopefully I will have some wonderful news about blogging and poetry.

8 comments:

  1. Heather,

    A suggestion....You may want to really look into Podcasting when you start your poetry unit. Your kids will love it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have to give TAKS one more day. Tomorrow I have to give the exit level social studies TAKS. I miss my blog time and computer searching. Thanks for the comments. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to learn more about Podcasting and poetry. Do you have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have computers in your classroom or do you take your kids to a lab? That is cool that they like blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 3 student computers and they are always on our blog. They also know how to blog from home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey H,

    On Thursday, I will be posting Chapter 8 on Podcasting. You will find a lot of information in the book as well as the delicious bookmark site as far as resources and student examples. You will most definitely want to use Audacity to record the student’s voices. Check with your facilitator for headphones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't there a workshop on the 11th about podcasting as well. We are at the end of our poetry unit and we were going to have a poetry slam. I was going to video tape it, but I wonder if podcasting would be better. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is a podcasting workshop on the 11th. Podcasting would be so much fun fo the kids!

    ReplyDelete